I made my first picture frame!

My wife made a new chore chart for the family out of a piece of 20″x30″ foam board and asked me how we should hang it on the wall.  I’ve been looking for an excuse to make a picture frame so I told her that I would take care of it.  She had already decorated the board and the writing at the top was all the way to the edge so I had to come up with a way to frame it.  My answer was to make a groove on the front of the board and just inset it in.  This made the job a little harder because I had to make that groove perfect to fit the board.  I just took my time and made several small cuts and inched up on it and I think that it turned out really good.

I used 2 pieces of 1×2 furring strips that I had sitting in the garage.  They only cost 75¢ each so I wasn’t too worried about wasting them.

The furring strips were 8 feet long so I cut 2 pieces at 35″ and 2 at 26″ on the miter saw to have some room for mistakes.

I labeled all the good sides so that I would know which face to use.

I used my router table with a 3/8″ straight bit to cut the groove for the foam board to sit in.

I made the groove with several shallow passes.

My wife didn’t like how wide the furring strip was so I made the groove wider rather then trying to rip the pieces into a smaller width. 

I cut an extra bottom/top piece just in case and then sanded them all smooth.

I cut the outside edge using a Roman OG bit.  I tried it at a couple of different depths until I found the profile that I liked.  I ended up going with the one on the right.

It looks like a good fit to me!

I try to label everything that I can so that I can keep everything straight in my head.

I made marks on the boards for the mitered angles on the ends to make sure that I cut them in the right direction.

I made all the cuts at a 45 degree angle.

Here’s the first cut!

I clamped the 2 pieces together and set the foam board in so that I could check the fit and mark where I needed to make the next cuts.

I put the frame together using glue

and brad nails.

I checked the inside of the frame for square and it looked good.

I also put 2 staples in the back of each corner just to play it safe.

I applied 2 coats of polyurethane with a light sanding between each coat.

I marked the top for center

and hammered in a simple hanger.  (I can’t think of the name of it right now)

I used hot glue on the back of the board to attach it to the frame.

Here is the completed board hanging in our kitchen.


Post Your Comment Here

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

0

Your Cart