Shop update #69 (2-20-19)

This weekend was all about finishing up plaques.  I completed 29 – 8″ x 10″ ‘s for my son’s Cub Scout pack and 2 – 11.25″ x 14″ ‘s for another Cub Scout pack in the area.

During the week I came up with the design for the 2 – 11.25″ x 14″ plaques and ran them by the customer.

Thursday night night I cut down some knotty pine into blanks for the larger plaques cut out the design on my CNC machine.

It rained all week which did not allow me to use spray paint so Friday night I had to hand paint in the large plaques.

Saturday morning I picked up the 29 plaques from the Boy Scout dad that etched the designs on them with his Glowforge laser printer.  I set up the router table and gave them all a small chamfer along the top edge.  I also gave the 2 larger plaques the same chamfer.

I got this done in time to bring the family out to see the Harlem Globetrotters with my son’s Cub Scout pack.  The scouts got to go on court and present the colors for the national anthem at the beginning of the game.

Once we got back from the game I had just enough time to get everything sanded and ready for stain and finish before it got dark.

Saturday night, after everybody went to bed, I put a coat of stain on the larger plaques so that I could apply finish to them in the morning.

Sunday morning I put my logo and hanging slots in the back of the large plaques and then gave them 3 coats of spray polyurethane sanding between coats.

I didn’t like the look of the spray poly on the smaller plaques so I gave them a coat of Walnut oil instead.  It started raining halfway through the process so I had to move everything to the back patio.

Sunday night around 11:00 pm I took all the pieces back into the shop and gave everything a light sanding to smooth and even out the finish.

Post Your Comment Here

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

0

Your Cart