Shop update #146 (8-12-20)

It was another busy weekend but I was able to get at least one of the desk finished!

I started by cutting up some more plywood and made 2 left hand legs for the desks.  Now I have 2 lefts and 2 rights!

The next step was to drill some pocket holes and round over all the sharp edges.  The pocket holes will be used to attach the desktop.

I laid out the 2 sides and back and then glued and stapled them together.

I used scrap plywood pieces as a spacer for attaching the front rail.

I then flipped it over and gave it a base coat of white paint and let it dry over night.

The next day I cut down a piece of 3/4″ sheathing plywood and made 2 desktops.  It was warped so I added some bracing on the bottom to help straighten them out.

I made a trip to Home Depot and had one of the workers cut a full sheet of 1/8″ white board into quarters for me.  It is much cheaper to buy the full sheet than it is to buy 2 quarter sheets individually.  I have 2 quarters left that I plan on using for some custom shaped white boards.  A attached them to to the desktop using wood glue and cases of water as clamps.

While the glue was drying, I gave the desk frames 3 coats of spray paint in the colors that my sons chose.

I let the spray paint dry for 24 hours and then trimmed the whiteboard to fit the desktops.

I then attached the desktop using pocket screws and installed them in the house.  They are now being used for distance learning from home.

I am working on the plans and video now and should have some thing by the end of the weekend.

 

Post Your Comment Here

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

0

Your Cart