Shop update #40 (8-1-18)

Some friends got married on Saturday so I started a family sign to give them when they return from their honeymoon.
It turned out that the board was not an even thickness all the way across so the right side did not cut as deeply as the left.

I took it outside and gave it a good coat of a satin spray polyurethane and let it dry in the 100 degree heat for a couple of hours.

Once the poly dried, I gave it a light coat of flat black spray paint.  I didn’t want it to be too thick so I only spritzed it on.  The thicker the coat of paint, the more I have to sand to get it off and there was not enough depth on the right side for this method.

I let the black dry overnight and gave it a light sanding on Sunday to remove the top coat of black paint.  I then gave it another coat of spray poly.

While that dried, I worked on the washer toss game that I made a couple of weeks ago.  Both of the center cups have been knocked loose so I bought some bolts with tapered heads to hold them in place.  I have 2 in each one right now but I’m thinking that I may add 1 more to each just to play it safe.

I let the wedding sign bake outside all day Monday and then gave it a light sanding with some 220 grit sandpaper, dusted it off and gave it 2 more coats of spray poly waiting about 30 minutes between coats.  I am going to add some eyelets to the top before I give it to the happy couple.  I’m going to try and find some black ones but may have to paint some to get the color I want.

 

Post Your Comment Here

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

0

Your Cart