Shop update #56 (11-21-18)

Late Tuesday night I got a call from one of the Cub Scout leaders who wanted to make a couple of plaques to give out at the pack meeting on Thursday night.  He was working on a scroll saw graphic of a wolf to add to the top of the plaque so I came up with a design in Easel that we both agreed on.  I had some 12 x 9 pieces of plywood so I started one cutting on the X-Carve CNC machine but the type was too small and it started chipping badly so I cancelled it.

I stopped by Home Depot at lunch on Wednesday and picked up a 48″ piece of 1×12 pine and cut it down to three 16″ lengths when I got home from work.  I then sanded them with the orbital disc sander at 120 grit and then 220 grit.  I broke the top edges by hand with 220 grit sandpaper and then gave them a good coat of Dark Walnut Danish Oil.

I let that dry for a couple of hours with a small fan blowing on them and then cut out all the wording on the CNC machine.

I left that to dry overnight with the fan blowing and then glued the scroll saw pieces onto them Thursday morning.  They were not as dry or as smooth as I would have liked but my wife took them to the meeting for me and they were much appreciated by the recipients.

I was cleaning the shop up last week and came across the Treasure Chest Cooler box that I started last May.  Last May of 2017.  I had got it 90% done and then had emergency appendix surgery and was down for 2 months and it got shoved in a corner and forgotten about.  I pulled it out Sunday morning and was able to get it finished up by the afternoon.

The Treasure chest itself was already completed, I just had to fix a few issues and then get the secret compartment working. The wood had split where 3 screws held in the top of one of the rear hinges.  I glued it back together and threw in a couple of staples for good measure.  I replaced the 3/4″ screws with some 1 5/8″ screws that I painted the heads black on.

I flushed up the door for the secret compartment and then installed 2 magnetic cabinet latches that click in and out as the release mechanism and then 2 static magnetic latches to hold the other side in place.  I didn’t realize that the clicking latches needed space to move up and down so I had to cut an extra 1/2″ off with a multi-tool.  It works, but not as well as I had hoped.  I plan to add a couple more magnets to each side to help hold the cover in place.

I was able to finish shooting the video for this project and hope to have it out for viewing on Thanksgiving weekend.

Post Your Comment Here

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

0

Your Cart