Shop update #64 (1-16-19)

This week was all about making plaques for my son’s Cub Scout Pack.  3 of the leaders have finished their Wood Badge training (the highest training available for adult leaders) and the pack wants recognize all of their hard work.

I finalized the design and got it OK’ed on Tuesday night and then carved the first one out on my CNC machine on Wednesday night.

Thursday night I had to make a trip to Home Depot and pick up some 1 x 12 boards as the ones that I had were not long enough.  I had to sort through about 20 boards but I finally found a 4′ and a 6′ board that I could use.  I cut down the 4′ and was able to get 2 good 16 3/4″ x 11.25″ boards out of it once I eliminated all the knots.  I then carved the second plaque out of one of them.

Friday night was all about relaxing and playing poker with friends so no woodworking was accomplished.

Saturday morning I carved the third one and then used my router table to put a decorative edge onto all of the pieces.  As I was setting up the router table it started to sprinkle so I had to move it from my large workbench on the side of my house to the picnic table under our back patio.  By the time I was done routing them all it was pouring down rain.

Because of the rain and the cold weather I was unable to use spray paint like I normally would.  I had to use acrylic paint and paint them all in by hand.  This took much longer than I would have liked but I was able to get them all done by the end of the day and inside the house to dry.

Sunday morning I carved my logo into the back of each piece and then took them outside and sanded them with my orbital sander.

Once the sanding was complete, I gave them a coat of golden oak stain and set them out to dry for a couple of hours.

Once the stain was dry, I was able to give them a total of 3 coats of gloss spray polyurethane with a light sanding between coats.

Before putting everything away for the night I cut that last 6′ 1 x 12 down into 4 usable pieces for future projects.

I let the finish cure for a couple of days and then gave the plaques a good rubbing down with some paste wax and steel wool on Tuesday night.  They will be given to the recipients at the monthly Pack Meeting later tonight.

Post Your Comment Here

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *